Thatcher Quote

October 2024 Forums General discussion Thatcher Quote

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

At the end of the film High-rise there is a quote that sounds like it is Margaret Thatcher, i doubted it's authenticity, since it used the term 'state capitalism' and I thought if Thatcher had ever uttered those words, we and any state-caps would have had them rammed down our throats.   But it seems she did say it, and it's a good quote:

Quote:
    There is only one economic system in the world, and that is capitalism. The difference lies in whether the capital is in the hands of the State or whether the greater part of it is in the hands of people outside of State control. Where there is State capitalism there will never be political freedom. Where there is private capitalism there may not be political freedom, but there cannot be political freedom without it.

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/103146

ALB
    Keymaster

Yes it's a very good quote and it is something we can ram down the throats of those who stand for state capitalism. Talking of which I see that  Eric Heffer could only comment on Thatcher's correct statement:

Quote:
    That is absolute nonsense.

Well, a leftwing Labourite would say that, wouldn't he.

Brian
    Participant
    Young Master Smeet wrote:
    At the end of the film High-rise there is a quote that sounds like it is Margaret Thatcher, i doubted it's authenticity, since it used the term 'state capitalism' and I thought if Thatcher had ever uttered those words, we and any state-caps would have had them rammed down our throats.   But it seems she did say it, and it's a good quote:

Quote:
    There is only one economic system in the world, and that is capitalism. The difference lies in whether the capital is in the hands of the State or whether the greater part of it is in the hands of people outside of State control. Where there is State capitalism there will never be political freedom. Where there is private capitalism there may not be political freedom, but there cannot be political freedom without it.

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/103146

If I remember correctly when she became Prime Minister she went even further during her and Regans' negotiations with Gobachov when she said 'We recognise your society is a state capitalist society and that ;;;;; ….'

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.