Russian Tensions

September 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 5,252 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

An escalation?

Missile strikes to the west of the country, near to Polish border.

Just watched a George Galloway interview recorded before the invasion he was categorically assuring that there was not the remotest chance there would be an invasion…so we are in good company, IDrive.

As for the impending attack Kiev, has Zevenskyy seen what was done to Grozny? It was literally flattened by the Russian army. He has to hope it is only going to be a siege on the Ukrainian capital

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Then and Now, Here and There

“Markets are fine, but artillery saves time.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Movimiento says Russia won’t strike NATO weapons deliveries. Oh yes they will.

ALB
    Keymaster

I think he meant outside Ukraine. For the past two days they have been bombing airfields in the West of Ukraine through which NATO weapons have been or are likely to be delivered. It looks as if some NATO “military instructors” may have been killed at one of them. the so-called (Orwellianlly-called) “International Peacekeeping and Security Centre (IPSC)” near the Polish border.

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/01/putins-strategic-failure-and-the-risk-of-escalation-a76690

More dangerous as Putin squeezed more and more, with no way out. A suicidal press of the button he might see as the only recourse.

IDriveADamnBuick
    Participant

Not sure I’d describe Galloway as good company, Alan.

But bombing the crap out of a military base ten miles from the Polish border certainly looks like an escalation to me, particularly in the light of the recent threat to weapons of destruction imports.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    robbo203
    Participant

Talking of George Galloway, here’s an interesting video of his although, as to be expected, he does not make much in the way of the criticism of the obnoxious Putin regime. He is an effective speaker and it’s a pity his talent is seemingly being used to apologize for that regime.

There is some startling information he presents such as the extent of Zelensky’s personal wealth on coming to power – an indication of the endemic corruption that plagues that country (and Russia too)

IDriveADamnBuick
    Participant

Not in my living room, Robbo! Galloway is about as welcome on my screen as…no, I’m not getting into that again. 🙂

robbo203
    Participant

I appreciate what you are saying, Drive, but still if you manage to grit your teeth and listen, the guy does make some interesting points such as the one I referred to…

What BTW is the background to all this business about a number of American-funded Biolabs being found in the Ukraine that Galloway refers to? Anyone got more information about this or is Galloway just exaggerating?

robbo203
    Participant
    sshenfield
    Participant

According to WHO:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-who-says-it-advised-ukraine-destroy-pathogens-health-labs-prevent-2022-03-11/

there are biological labs in Ukraine that at least until recently did contain dangerous pathogens. WHO recommended that these pathogens be destroyed but it is doubtful whether this has been done. Work with dangerous pathogens may or may not serve military purposes. It is reasonable to suspect that it does. Such work continues in Russia as it does in China and the US.

ALB
    Keymaster

Then and Now, Here and There

Good description there of how the current Russian capitalist class originally accumulated their capital — as a result of the Russian government following the advice of American “free” market economists. In other words, the West created the oligarchs they now want to punish.

IDriveADamnBuick
    Participant

Slutsky? That’s got to be fake news, no?

ALB
    Keymaster

“Paper inflated is paper discounted. The vouchers were quickly swept into the hands of insiders, traders, and the in-place management of the newly “created” enterprises: in short, an emerging bourgeoisie.

That was the infamous “voucher” program 1992-1994. At its end, the voucher program accounted for seventy-seven percent of the large and medium sized industries and 82 percent of the small industries. These accounted for two-thirds of prior industrial output and sixty percent of the industrial working place. The great dismantling could begin.

The voucher program was followed and supplemented by auctions to privatize state industries, cash purchases of shares from the government and the industries themselves. So…….state and privatized banks made cash loans to the “management” of the industries in exchange for privatization shares in the industry. The management used privatization shares as collateral for the loans, with the cash circulating between the banks and management in order to repeat this daisy chain through the purchase of privatization shares in other industries, or to purchase “distressed” shares from enterprises unable to obtain bank loans, and thus vulnerable to underbidding in the auctions.

It was a mess. Everything was in order. It was the crime of the century. It was the apotheosis of daily pettiness. There was bribery, deceit, insider trading, insiders trading on insider information. It had all the characteristics of a day or a week or a year in the life of the New York Stock Exchange. “

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 5,252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.