Party X

July 2024 Forums General discussion Party X

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ALB
    Keymaster

Here is Pablo Iglesias having a go at the traditional Leninist left:https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/12/pablo-iglesias-podemos-left-speech/He makes some telling points (though he'd probably say something similar about us). The trouble is the type of "possibilist", "realistic" approach he is advocating has failed to deliver too.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

What Pablo forgets to mention is that "bald guy" stole the slogan from his rivals, the SRs and 1905's independent soviets were as far away from his ideas as possibly can, and the popular feeling was always with them and when it was put to a count the bald guy engineered a coup to make sure that the people didn't get what they voted for, the SRs. So he is correct in one sense when he said " politics is about strength, it is not about wishes or what we say in assemblies."But i think he understands the bigger picture, as you indicate. That we have not reached the minds and hearts of the majority.Workers require the self-confidence in that they can prevail and that is exactly what is lacking these days. The goal is not seen as achievable or even feasible. Party it is because we do not relate to our class in inspiring and sharing the same aspirations …So often that is exactly the problem…too many seek other choice of politics…Even simpler slogans as we see in Germany and UK…"kick out johnny foreigner and all will be well."Our task (and again as he points out about the reality, we are insignificant) is to get the discourse onto the right track towards a debate on the actual road we should be taking as a class. I have no pat answers to offer. I don't know how we can change the discussion. But i think Solidarity had it generally right.

Quote:
    Meaningful action, for revolutionaries, is whatever increases the confidence, the autonomy, the initiative, the participation, the solidarity, the equalitarian tendencies and the self -activity of the masses and whatever assists in their demystification. Sterile and harmful action is whatever reinforces the passivity of the masses, their apathy, their cynicism, their differentiation through hierarchy, their alienation, their reliance on others to do things for them and the degree to which they can therefore be manipulated by others – even by those allegedly acting on their behalf.

This should be guiding our attitude as regards Russel Brand and other things such as some in the environmental campaign, Zeitgeist and many others.  

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.