Coronavirus

July 2024 Forums General discussion Coronavirus

• This topic has 1,592 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 1,593 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dumped-milk-smashed-eggs-plowed-160839647.html

US farmers dumped milk, vegetables and eggs. Donald Trump wants another bailout for the rich farmers, and he wants the farmers to reduce the salary of the workers to resolve their financial crisis.

During the 2016 campaign, the claim was that farmers were hiring low pay workers from Mexico instead of hiring the US workers with a higher salary to make America great again.

The theory of scarcity is a capitalist fallacy

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.yahoo.com/news/console-coronaviruss-victims-italys-priests-162649131.html

Priests and nuns are also dying along with doctors and nurses

ALB
    Keymaster

I see the homeopaths are trying to cash in on the Coronavirus pandemic. But as today’s Times points out:

”Over recent decades the Prince of Wakes has consistently campaigned for homeopathic treatments. However, The Times understands that he did not receive homeopathic treatment when he contracted the virus.”

He’s not that stupid. Incidentally it’s not just him but the whole royal family who believe in this fake remedy. It’s part of their German heritage.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the organisation was constantly learning about the new virus sweeping the globe, which has now killed nearly 115,000 people and infected over 1.8 million.

“We know that COVID-19 spreads fast, and we know that it is deadly, 10 times deadlier than the 2009 flu pandemic,” he said.

WHO says 18,500 people died of “swine flu”, or H1N1, which was first uncovered in Mexico and the United States in March 2009, but the Lancet medical estimated the toll to be between 151,700 and 575,400.

The Lancet review included estimated deaths in Africa and Southeast Asia that were not accounted for by the WHO.

The West, particularly Europe, and the WHO were criticised for overreacting at a time when annual influenza epidemics every year killed between 250,000 and 500,000 people, according to WHO.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200413-who-says-covid-19-is-10-times-more-deadly-than-swine-flu

Ozymandias
    Participant
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Ozy, that indeed might be the subsequent consequence of the pandemic but not the cause or reason for the crippling of the economy.

Many on the left claim that the State’s massive intervention in the economy will also not be easily reversible and the nanny state in even the most free enterprise nations such as the USA will become a permanent feature of the government.

Big Brother surveillance already exists in China and Israel so again the motive cannot be simply to increase State spying.

Probably the only thing that is going to be new will be the technology of the apps being installed in the mobiles to follow movements.

Another sign is the mounting authoritarianism of political leaders such as Trump, claiming the president can no longer be challenged, reflecting Victor Orban of Hungary

Anonymous
    Inactive

The book written by Snowden shows that the whole world has been under surveillance for many years. Nationalization is going to be the new trend that many countries will adopt again

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Now the knock-on effects with other health diseases

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-measles-vaccine-injection-jab-who-children-covid-19-latest-a9462296.html

WHO has said it fears more than 117 million children could miss out on being vaccinated against measles, which killed 140,000 people in 2018.

Ozymandias
    Participant

Cheers Alan I know it’s not the endgame. It’s just depressing. Trump stated that he has the power to do anything yesterday. I  just don’t share your optimism that the working class will start waking up because of this. My old man (who like many members I knew) actually despised the working class and stated many times that they deserved everything they get. Difficult though when all we hear and see as workers is a deafening onslaught of pro Capitalist propaganda from day one.

Dave B
    Participant

The ONS week ending apr 3 april is just in.

There was a real spike in above average deaths for that week,; I must admit a bigger one than I expected.

However total deaths for this year to that date was about 166,000

Compared to about 175,000 for 2018

So still 9,000 less than 2018.

It is conceivable that this might in a few weeks and by end of year just overtake 2018 ;

All the evidence from current data; from here and elsewhere suggests that it has just peaked here in the UK.

There are some serious concerns about this ONS data now.

Several days ago I emailed ONS asking whether there would be a double entry into covid and respiratory categories.

They responded very quickly and gave be a bit of a confusing techno babble answer which convinced me the answer was no.

Now there is this!

Note: Deaths could possibly be counted in both causes presented. If a death had an underlying respiratory cause and a mention of COVID-19 then it would appear in both counts.

Which is clear enough now ;but not what they said before.

I sent another one recently asking about double entry of covid deaths into total deaths.

I got another to me ambivalent answer that looked a like the answer to the first question.

[That took longer I got an automated reply first saying they were now very busy.]

I was convinced yesterday however that they the answer was no.

I am not sure now.

Sweden with no lockdown or very limited ‘lockdown’ has ended its covid “crisis” .

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Sweden

It looks very similar to Denmark although I haven’t done a detailed analysis.

A far left believer told me it was probably due to genetic reasons !

There had been of lot of concern before all this about WHO re the increasing amounts of private funding and the current head who has a murky past and I think is the first head who is not a medical doctor.

It is a very cluttered and swamped area particularly recently and is now very difficult to research.

As are speculations about what and how it has happened.

The non political sceptical scientists are more interesting to stay grounded.

There was a interesting youtube from him 13 march which has had 2.2 million views for what it matters.

He seems to be getting the Julien Assange and Jeremy Corbyn treatment so he is a rapist anti-Semite fascist etc etc.

How Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg sees the current Corona pandemic.

DJP
    Participant

Dave B. Why don’t you write in proper paragraphs? The formatting of your posts makes them difficult to read.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I’ve touched on it a couple of times in past posts but has anybody else noticed a total lack of religious hysteria.

Usually something like this pandemic would create some sort of a religious revival. But unable to fill their churches, there seems an absolute lack of religion even at Easter. Nobody is placing faith in God, of any denomination

Is this now the end of religion for most people? It seems so to me perhaps the final nail in its coffin.

Dave B
    Participant

Just seen a extract of Sunetra’s paper !!!!

one of my Girl computer programmer friends from India asked me an hour ago how she was getting along so just pulled it out; honestly!

R0 value of 5.7 ; fucking hell!

95% confidence limit of 3.8–8.9 !!!!

and double fucking hell!!!!!

serial interval of 6–9 days!!!!

Actually though not far from my boat

R0 of 2

serial interval of 3 days

as it turns out.

Probably runs differently on boats.

the bar is set pretty low for guesstimates and I can not write computer programmes.

Hi Matt can you please keep these bastards off my back.

I was, not because I asked but was strongly advised to, undergoing NHS acute post traumatic stress disorder treatment as of last month that was cancelled and postponed.

My condition and cause etc is sort of connected to this subject.

This complaining about my font size and formatting is like being on Revleft again when I was creaming the Leninist with Robbo.

nothing to do with the almost dying of influenza in 6 months earlier that was almost fun.

Dave B
    Participant

This is from the Los Alamos people in the US

….a doubling time of 2.3–3.3 days), suggesting a much faster rate of spread than initially measured. This finding would have important implications for forecasting epidemic trajectories and the effect on healthcare systems as well as for evaluating the effectiveness of intervention strategies.

We found R<sub>0</sub> is likely to be 5.7 given our current state of knowledge, with a broad 95% CI (3.8–8.9). Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R<sub>0</sub>. A recent study based on structural analysis of the virus particles suggests SARS-CoV-2 has a much higher affinity to the receptor needed for cell entry than the 2003 SARS virus (21), providing a molecular basis for the high infectiousness of SARS-CoV-2.,,,,,

Blah blah

Dave B
    Participant

The bastards

they are going to do a Rosalind Franklin on a winner of the Rosalind Franklin award

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 1,593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.